Total Pageviews

Monday, September 17, 2012

The Marten

People rarely ever see the Marten, due to its extreme shyness and hiding in dense forests. Marten are not well known, even though they are very active on the ground. The Marten is a carnivore and feeds on small prey, such as mice and squirrels. They have slender bodies and a bushy tail, almost like the squirrel, but with the body of a fox. They have small paws with retractable claws. The fur of these animals used to be very valuable in the Middle Ages.
 
 
The Marten has really dense fur, which is the main reason this animal is endangered. Hunters trap the mammal to take just the fur. With trees being constantly cut down or dying, it is causing the Marten to lose it's habitat. In 1980, this animal was reintroduced to the Black Hills and the breeding became successful. Certain areas are being blocked off and trees prohibited from being cut down for the survival of the Marten.

13 comments:

  1. I had no idea there were marten in the black hills! I think it would be awesome to have a marten trap line! They are very cool animals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so cute! I want one. Would it bite me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marten are cool animals and I would like to have one full body mounted. Too bad they are endangered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are not endangered in Alaska, Montana and i believe Idaho!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marten are so cute. I wisht that weren't so shy so I actually see one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. they are really cute.. i wish there were more around the area so i could see one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are so cute! I am glad we reintroduced them to the Black Hills.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't even heard of that kind of animal. They are really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. never heard of that before!! its cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have heard of these but didn't know they were here

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are cool looking animals! Are they aggressive if you would come into close contact to them?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never heard of the marten before, but I think I want one. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't know martens were in the Black Hills. It is incredibly cute, though!

    ReplyDelete